Taking care of your skin and your body will keep you looking and feeling young for a much longer time. That is where “prejuvenation” comes into play.
We often talk about how to remedy the signs of aging, but there are things you can do to slow down some of those signs. And they will also make it an easier task for your cosmetic surgeon when you do decide to make some surgical changes to your looks.
Some of the things you can do will maintain the youth of the body, and some will help maintain the youth of your face. Together, these practices can contribute to an optimized quality of life.
Here are a few you may consider:
- Taking a daily dose of Vitamin C. This vitamin is the most important in the development of healthy collagen.
- Using a daily sunblock of SPF 30, or stronger. Whether you are outdoors or under harsh lights, a good sunscreen will protect your skin from ultraviolet rays. It is also a good idea to use sunscreen on your hands, as well.
- Get a healthy dose of omegas in your diet. Aside from fish, fish oil supplements have shown to be helpful to psychiatric health, improving cardiac risk factors and keeping skin healthy and pliable.
- Decrease sugar intake. A diet high in sugar is very damaging to the skin as well as the rest of your body. Damage to collagen and elastin leads to sallow, less plump and more wrinkled/sagging skin.
- Stop smoking. As far as skin is concerned, the chemicals in smoke contribute to skin damage. The act of smoking will cause deep wrinkles around the mouth area. And Vitamin C levels in smokers tends to be 15% less than those of non-smokers.
Other things to consider include exercising for at least 30 minutes a day, using Retin-A to improve the smoothness of your skin, and getting plenty of sleep.
As you can see, there are many things you can do for yourself that will help with the maintenance of your physical youth and beauty. And when the time comes, your cosmetic surgeon will be there for more professional help.
Contact McLain Surgical Arts in Huntsville, AL to Schedule a Consultation
McLain Surgical Arts is a leading cosmetic plastic surgery practice headed by Dr. Landon D. McLain MD, DMD, FACS in Huntsville, AL. Dr. McLain is a double board certified cosmetic and oral & maxillofacial surgeon, offering a variety of procedures such as dental implants, wisdom teeth extraction, breast augmentation, liposuction, rhinoplasty, tummy tuck, facelift, Botox, and laser skin resurfacing.
Now taking patients from Huntsville, Scottsboro, Decatur, Madison, Athens, Florence, Cullman, AL and surrounding areas.