Breast revision surgery can often be a more complicated procedure than the primary breast implant surgery. The preparation steps involved in breast revision will not be very different from the breast augmentation surgery. The surgeon will discuss these steps at the time of initial consultation.
Patients who are well-prepared for the surgery will typically go through reduced pre-surgery anxiety and will have a better chance of achieving safe and predictable results. McLain Surgical Arts, led by Dr. Landon McLain, provides breast revision surgery to patients in Huntsville, Madison, Florence, Decatur, Scottsboro, Cullman, Athens, Alabama, and surrounding locations across the landscape.
The following guidelines will help a patient to prepare for breast revision surgery:
- Arrange to send the past health records directly from the doctor and the specialist to the surgeon’s office
- Make a list of all the medications, including prescription drugs, blood thinners, NSAIDs, herbal supplements and vitamins, that the patient may be currently using
- Get any medical tests or mammograms done as instructed by the surgeon
- If any prescription drugs need to be adjusted before the surgery, have the surgeon speak to the prescribing doctor
- Stop smoking for at least the period specified by the surgeon
- If any pressing tasks at home or office are pending, complete them before the surgery in order to have a stress-free recovery
- Arrange for a family member, friend or a caregiver to assist during the initial recovery phase, as required
- Someone responsible should be available to drive the patient back home after the surgery
The patient should be committed to following the surgeon’s instructions for preparation for the sake of her own safety.
Do’s and Don’ts
The staff at the surgeon’s office may provide a set of common instructions or do’s and don’ts as a part of the preparation for breast revision surgery. These may include:
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen and other blood thinners and NSAIDs for at least two weeks before surgery
- Refrain from taking vitamin E, vitamin C, homeopathic and herbal remedies as well as dietary supplements for two to four weeks before surgery
- On the day of the surgery, do not wear makeup, jewelry, body piercings or contact lenses to the surgery center
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes on the day of the surgery. The top should button in the front as the procedure involves the upper part of the body.
- Do not consume alcohol for at least 48 hours before the surgery
- If breast revision is to be performed using general anesthesia, do not eat or drink for eight hours before the surgery
- If the patient is a diabetic, they should have their parameters checked on the morning of the surgery
Many patients experience mild pre-op stress and anxiety a day before the surgery. The surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken the night before the surgery. The cordial and awesome Dr. Landon McLain receives patients from Huntsville, Madison, Florence, Decatur, Scottsboro, Cullman, Athens, Alabama, and other communities and neighborhoods in the tremendous Cotton State for breast revision surgery.
McLain Surgical Arts is a leading cosmetic plastic surgery practice headed by Dr. Landon D. McLain MD, DMD, FACS in Huntsville, AL. Dr. McLain is a double board certified cosmetic and oral & maxillofacial surgeon, offering a variety of procedures such as dental implants, wisdom teeth extraction, breast augmentation, liposuction, rhinoplasty, tummy tuck, facelift, Botox, and laser skin resurfacing. For more information or to schedule a consultation call 256.429.3411 or click here.
Now taking patients from Huntsville, Scottsboro, Decatur, Madison, Athens, Florence, Cullman, AL and surrounding areas.