Liposuction currently ranks as the second most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in the US, according to the ASPS figures. Pre-operative preparation creates the foundation for a successful liposuction surgery, and patients should follow the instructions of the cosmetic surgeon through this process.
A well-prepared patient will be in a healthier state, with a positive mindset and clear goals to go through liposuction surgery. This increase their chances of achieving high satisfaction levels in the end. Double board certified cosmetic and oral & maxillofacial surgeon Dr. Landon McLain provides liposuction to patients in Huntsville, Madison, Florence, Decatur, Scottsboro, Cullman, Athens, Alabama, and surrounding communities.
Steps to take before Surgery
The following steps should be taken by the patient well before the scheduled date for liposuction surgery:
- Arranging for past medical and surgical records for a review by the liposuction cosmetic surgeon.
- Preparing a list of currently used prescription and non-prescription drugs, aspirin and other blood thinners, vitamins and herbal supplements to show to the surgeon.
- Getting any x-rays or blood tests performed as per the surgeon’s advice.
- Adjusting the schedule of any prescription medications in consultation with the physician.
- Refraining from smoking for a certain period of time before the liposuction surgery, as stipulated by the surgeon.
- Completing any pressing household tasks well in advance, in order to minimize stress during the post-op recovery period.
- Arranging transportation to return home with a responsible person after the liposuction procedure.
- Arranging for aftercare, which could be a family member, friend or a professional nurse, for the first few days as needed.
Patients who follow the preparation process in a committed manner will improve their chances of a safe surgery and quicker and easier recovery.
Just before the Day of Surgery
Some surgeon’s may provide written instructions to help ensure that the patient knows the preparatory steps to follow just before the scheduled day of liposuction surgery. These steps may include:
- Take adequate rest and sleep well on the night before the liposuction surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours before the surgery.
- Avoid the use of alcohol for at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- On the day of the surgery, do not wear makeup, jewelry, body piercings, nail paint, or contact lenses.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes on way to the surgical center. Shorts or loose pants are preferable. The top should button in the front, if liposuction is required in the upper areas of the body.
- Diabetic patients should have their vital parameters reviewed on the morning of the surgery.
Patients commonly experience pre-operative stress and anxiety, which is normal. The surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken the night before the surgery. The patient should keep pain medications, pillows, loose fitting clothes and other necessary items at home, and prepare for it in advance.
Double board certified cosmetic and oral & maxillofacial surgeon receives patients from Huntsville, Madison, Florence, Decatur, Scottsboro, Cullman, Athens, Alabama, and nearby areas for liposuction.
McLain Surgical Arts is a leading cosmetic surgery practice headed by Dr. Landon D. McLain MD, DMD, FACS in Huntsville, AL. Dr. McLain is a double board certified cosmetic and oral & maxillofacial surgeon, offering a variety of procedures such as dental implants, wisdom teeth extraction, breast augmentation, liposuction, rhinoplasty, tummy tuck, facelift, Botox, and laser skin resurfacing. For more information or to schedule a consultation call 256.429.3411 or click here. Now taking patients from Huntsville, Scottsboro, Decatur, Madison, Athens, Florence, Cullman, AL and surrounding areas.